Why I got involved in politics
I'm an activist first, with a proven track record of successfully fighting for the young people of Ireland. I played a key role in two of the largest social justice campaigns in recent times.
While a student I served as the National Co-Ordinator of Student’s for Marriage Equality (2014-2015). Following my time in USI, I joined the Coalition to Repeal the 8th as National Canvassing Coordinator and was then asked to serve as the National Canvassing Manager for Together For Yes (2018).
I am proud to bring an active voice to Seanad Éireann and use my position here to champion matters of equality, fairness and justice.
Four years ago, while I was President of the Students Union of Ireland, the Cassells Report was published which gave us a roadmap to a publicly-funded third level educations sector which is free at the point of use for everyone.
I believe it is time to:
- Abolish student fees
- Make all third-level education free at the point of access, for everyone
- regardless of age or level of qualification.
- Reform SUSI to make sure no student is blocked from education due to additional costs.
- Reinstate postgraduate grants.
- Stop the casualisation of work in the sector.
- Increase funding for both research and teaching positions within third level institutes.
I’m a Drogheda native, born and reared on a tillage farm in Co. Meath. I am a former Meath County Councillor. I am a former President of USI, UCC Students Union.
Clubs and Committees
- I sit on the Oireachtas Health Committee, the Good Friday Agreement Committee and Committee on Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht.
- I am a member of the Oireachtas Woman's Caucus working group and co-chair of the All-Party Group on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.