Why I got involved in politics
I got involved in politics in order to represent my local community.
I am a lifetime trade unionist and believe in improved workers rights. I believe that this can be best achieved politically through the Labour Party and through the Trade Union movement.
Current priorities include:
- Campaigning for additional social and affordable housing in Waterford,
- Campaigning to hold government account and to ensure the current government deliver on their promises for Waterford including 24/7 Cardiac Care at University Hospital Waterford,
- Greater investment in University Hospital Waterford,
- Investment in Waterford Regional Airport and delivery of University of the South East,
- Delivery on the North Quays project and the Michael Street Shopping Street Project are also priorities for the Council.
Seamus is a member of the Labour Party since 1987 and is currently the Councillor for Labour in the Waterford South Electoral Area.
Served as Mayor of the Metropolitan District of Waterford until June 2022.
- Elected to Waterford City and County Council in 2019,
- Former Mayor of Waterford 2004,
- Former Deputy Mayor of Waterford,
- Former Member of Waterford City Council,
- Former Member of HSE Regional Health Forum South,
- Former Member of Waterford VEC,
- Former Member of Governing Body Waterford Institute of Technology,
- Former member and Chairperson of the South Eastern Health Board,
- Former member and Chairperson of the South East Regional Authority.
Clubs and Committees
Lifetime member of Mount Sion GAA Club