Call office for appointment 053 9124036
Why I got involved in politics
I got involved in politics to play an active role in the progression and development of my Town and community. I saw untapped and unexploited potential and was keen to see ambition brought to my local area. I had played a very active role in many sectors and felt that I had something to offer.
The most effective way to bring about positive change is through progressive politics and I feel that The Labour Party has continually delivered positive change in every sector of Irish society. It is for this reason that I proudly represent Labour on Wexford County Council.
I was also very aware of the Labour Party’s proud campaigning record in the area of progressive social change. The party has been to the forefront of constitutional change and amending legislative change which has led to a more inclusive and compassionate Ireland.
The Party’s consistent stand on equality and reform afforded me the opportunity to join a campaigning group of people determined to deliver left of centre policies that appealed to me.
My priorities for County Wexford include:
- The provision of a state of the art Wexford Campus as part of the newly created Technical University of the South East.
- The securing of the required investment to see Rosslare Europort grow to it’s full potential as a strategic Tier 1 port, in particular enhancing and strengthening the trade connectivity between Ireland and mainland Europe.
- Continue to work on behalf of people across Co. Wexford who are struggling to find a forever home. Working closely with council officials to provide quality built low energy housing for the people of Wexford.
- The provision of a greater number of secondary school places for children across Co. Wexford but particularly in Wexford Town where many children and their families need this support.
- Actively support the 4,500 family farms across Co. Wexford as they battle to protect their livelihoods and continue to make Wexford one of the finest, cleanest food production counties in Ireland.
- Continue to highlight and campaign for people in the area of mental health and fighting to secure acute mental health beds at Wexford General Hospital.
- Ensuring the provision of community facilities right throughout Co. Wexford through delivering change in our development plans to include zonings allowing sporting organisations and community clubs access to lands to develop and enhance their facilities.
2004 - Elected to Wexford Borough Council
2009 - Re-elected to Wexford Borough Council - Topping the poll
2009 - Elected to Wexford County Council - Topping the poll
2014 - Re-elected to Wexford County Council
2019 - Re-elected to Wexford County Council - Topping the poll
2019 - By Election candidate Wexford Constituency - Securing 20% first preference vote.
2022 - Took up office of Cathaoirleach Wexford Council
Elected Mayor of Wexford on 4 occasions.
Married to Yvonne we have 3 daughters Sarah, Rachel & Ruth. For 23 years I ran a successful printing company in Wexford Town before stepping away to focus full time as a public representative and Parliamentary Assistant to Deputy Brendan Howlin.
Well known in music circles across Wexford I have been AIMS nominated on 2 occasions.
Clubs and Committees
- Chairman and Founding Board Member Wexford Marinewatch
- Founding Board Member The Collective Sensory Group
- Board Member Wexford Women’s Refuge
- Member of Wexford Light Opera Society