Why I got involved in politics
I want to make our communities the best possible place to live, work and raise a family. I was selected to succeed Michael Meaney as member of Carlow County Council, March 2007. Successfully contested Local Elections in 2009, 2014
I believe in communities working together to improve local services so that everyone can have a better quality of life. Having served on Carlow County Council since 2007, I have actively worked on community projects and in providing better local services for everyone.
But I believe we can improve our area further. That means building more homes for families. More school buildings. Better local transport services.
Our challenge now is to ensure that this recovery is spread to all parts of the country and to rural communities in particular. These are my five priorities to bring the recovery to rural Ireland:
- Addressing low pay rates for workers in rural communities,
- Accessing NAMA land to deliver more local housing,
- Providing practical local transport solutions, particularly for schoolchildren,
- Increasing apprenticeship opportunities to get young people into work,
- Protecting mental health services so families have the supports they require.
My family has also been touched by the scourge of mental health trauma and is devastating consequences. Providing adequate services for this most sensitive issue will be my other priority.
I come from a small farming background and have been proud to live and work in the Carlow Kilkenny constituency all my life. In recent years I have been erecting farm buildings throughout the South-East so I have been in direct contact with farmers and the issues facing them.
With my wife Annette and my two grown-up children, I have been an active member of the local community in Borris for many years. Steel erecter and Sheeting Contractor and a small farmer.
Member of Labour Party for over 20 years.
Selected to succeed Michael Meaney as member of Carlow County Council, March 2007.
Successfully contested Local Elections in 2009, 2014.
Nominated to Joint Policing Committee, 2014.
Cathaoirleach of Muinebheag Municipal District.
Appointed to the Regional Health Forum South, June 2014.
Appointed to Southern & Eastern Regional Assembly,June 2014.
Clubs and Committees
- Public Art Working Group, Carlow County Council,
- Member Carlow Rural Water Monitoring Committee,
- Former Member of County Carlow VEC,
- Former Chair and current member of Housing and Social SPC,
- 1916 Commemoration Committee, Carlow County Council,
- Member of Local Community Development Committee, June 2014,
- Peace Commissioner,
- Involved with Mount Leinster Rangers Hurling & Football Club,
- Member of the Parish Council in Borris,
- Founder member of Borris Community Games,
- Chair of Borris Tidy Town Committee for over 7 years,
- Instrumental in setting up a Text Alert scheme for the parish of Borris