Why I got involved in politics
I am a teacher and have always loved helping people.
Working on a variety of projects over the years in my role as a member of my school’s Board of Management, as a member of the Parents’ Association at my children’s school and as a teacher, I have realised how much can be achieved when working with a local politician.
Like many in the Labour Party I have become deeply frustrated with the inequalities in our society, particularly in terms of housing and homelessness. I have watched from the side-lines as government after government have done nothing to change this. I want to get elected to help make those changes as part of a vibrant Labour Party.
What we have been doing as a country for the last fifteen years is not working; I want to be part of the change that actually alters people’s lives for the better.
· Improve housing availability for everyone across all sectors: to buy, build and rent.
· Reduce numbers of those homeless or at risk of homelessness
· Improve public transport - late buses - 2 way service from Crosshaven to Fountainstown and Myrtleville and more consistent connections.
· Improve amenities at our beaches and other public spaces, particularly in terms of toilets and bins.
· To ensure our communities are ready for the impacts of climate change, particularly the risks of flooding.
· To ensure small businesses across our communities continue to thrive, particularly in terms of parking and other council supports
I was born and raised in this constituency and, since returning to live in Fountainstown in 2016, I have been struck with both the good and the bad of where we live.
I went to school in Carrigaline Community School and am thrilled at how it has progressed into such an outstanding learning environment. I studied to be a teacher in UCC and have worked as an English and History teacher in Bandon Grammar School since 2010.
I am passionate about my community and working to create and maintain a wonderful place for my kids and their friends to grow and thrive. I am saddened at times by some of the areas we are falling short, but always optimistic that positive change is possible when the right people are involved.
Clubs and Committees
· Fountainstown Tennis Club
· Coiste Cairde Gaelscoil Charraig Uí Leighin
· Board of Management Bandon Grammar School
· Cork History Teachers’ Association
· Irish National Teachers of English (INOTE)