Why I got involved in politics
As a Labour Party voter since I could legally vote, I finally decided to join the political party after the success of the their participation in the Marriage Equality Referendum and the Repeal the 8th campaign.
I saw a party that was progressive in protecting the rights of vulnerable people and not afraid to stand up for what it believed in.
As the elected Labour Councillor for Drogheda Rural, I wanted to see increased public transport services, active travel measures, traffic calming and more play and recreation facilities for all.
Living in an urban area of a small rural town, I saw how lack of footpaths, safe cycling and walking routes, lack of regular buses and playgrounds decreases the quality of life for residents.
From working in a multi-cultural school with children of all backgrounds and needs, I wanted to ensure that diversity and inclusion in Co. Louth would be high on the Council's agenda.
I grew up in Drogheda and moved with my family to Termonfeckin in 2006. I was a Special Needs Assistant for 13 years and after 5 years of part-time study while working, I qualified as a Primary School teacher in 2021. I currently work in a DEIS school in Drogheda.
Since I was elected in 2019, my campaigns have been very successful and we now have:
- New bus route from Drogheda to Dundalk going through the coastal village ten times a day;
- New footpath to Seapoint beach;
- More bicycle parking;
- Traffic calming measures including driver feedback speed signs, ramps, pedestrian crossings, signage in Drogheda Rural areas and a new traffic warden in Tullyallen;
- New Play policy in progress for Co. Louth;
- I also co-founded a new community group in Termonfeckin and I'm actively involved in the new Drogheda Cycling group.
Lots done, more to do....
Clubs and Committees
- Vice-Chair of Regional Health Forum - Dublin/North-East
- Vice-Chair of East Border Region Ltd.
- Co. Louth Nominee rep for Irish Public Bodies Mutual Insurance
- Trustee of Rape Crisis North East
- Trustee of Termonfeckin Development Board
- Co-Founder of Termonfeckin GOAL Mile
- Committee member of Labour Equality Executive
- Committee member of Montessori Teachers Association of Ireland Executive
- Member of Drogheda Cycling