Labour to raise alleged Russian activities in the Dáil
Labour Party Leader Brendan Howlin has said that he will be raising the alleged activities of Russian agents against tech companies operating in Ireland made today in the Sunday Times when the Dáil reconvenes.
Deputy Howlin said:
“These are deeply disturbing reports about Russian sponsored activity in Ireland and follow the alleged murder of a Russian dissident in the UK in the last week.
“I will be calling on the Taoiseach and the Minister for Justice to make a statement on the issue and to answer a number of questions including:
- Is the reportage we see in the papers today broadly accurate?
- How serious do the Irish authorities take the reports?
- Have these matters been raised by the Irish Government with the Russian authorities?
- Is he satisfied that An Garda Síochána are adequately resourced to deal with any potential threat?
- What is being done to counter the threat?
“Any response to such reports should be measured and considered. But if this threat does exist it is critical that it is understood at a national level and that involves the Government making informatory statement to the Dáil.”